Wednesday, September 16, 2009

French Fries

So the French Fries turned out perfectly!  I had to go out and buy an oil thermometer and a splatter gaurd, but it's always good to get more stuff for the kitchen (it's also an excuse to go to the mall :).

4 large russet potatoes. cut into 1/4 by 1/4-inch thick batons and peeled or unpeeled based on your liking
2 quarts peanut oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper

If you have a mandolin slicer, awesome, but if not don't worry about it; it's not difficult to chop up the potatoes.
Rinse cut potatoes in a large bowl with cold running water until clear.  Leave water in the bowl when finished and stick it the fridge for 30 minutes.
In a large pot, add the peanut oil and the oil thermometer.  I was happy to find that the find that the frying process wasn't as difficult as I first thought it was going to be.  If you have a deep fryer to use instead, great!
Heat oil over medium heat to 325 degrees. 
Drain water from the potatoes and dry them with a clean towel.  Increase the heat to medium-high and add the fries using tongs so that you don't get splashed with hot oil.  Stir occasionally for 6 to 8 minutes until potatoes are soft.  Remove with large slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain.  Let rest for 10 minutes or up to 2 hours. 
When you are ready to serve the fries, reheat the oil to 350 degrees.  Put fries in the oil again for about 1 minute or until they are golden brown.  Put them in a paper towel lined dish, season with salt and pepper and serve.

I am looking forward to finding fun seasonings to use when I do this in the future, as well as trying different kinds of potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment